Welcome (back) to Durham University. Durham has always been a very special city, from the days of St. Cuthbert and the Venerable Bede to today’s thriving University town. Since 1842, The Durham Union Society has been a fundamental part of University life. From amazing speakers to fantastic social events, the Union Society will make your time here exciting, engaging, and an enormous amount of fun. To all of the traditional collegiate universities a Union is essential. As Durham's largest student society we can offer opportunities unavailable anywhere else and transcend the college divide. With a membership of over 3000 students, and over 170 years of history, the Union is able to attract high profile names and visits from celebrities who frequently dominate the headlines. With something to offer everyone, the Union is a key part of Durham life,
benefits of membership include:
- Entry to addresses, which have previously included Nick Clegg, Patrick Stewart and Boris Johnson. This year they will include John Bercow, Shirley Williams and Lord Guthrie.
- Entry to our high quality celebrity debates every Friday night of term.
- Our famous free socials, where there is unlimited free drink and festive food all night in our private bar
- The option to learn to debate with one of the most successful debating societies in the world.
- Associate Membership of the Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh Union Societies
- The ability to get involved in the running of Durham's largest society and a great addition to any CV
Everyone at the Union is looking forward to meeting you in October. For now, here is a taste of the things we have done recently and a taste of what is coming up.
President – Michaelmas Term 2013